The Powder House, behind Tomlinson Middle School, was repaired by the Eunice Dennie Burr Chapter of the DAR, which earned an award from the National Society DAR for the project. The Powder House is believed to be the only remaining powder house in the state used to store munitions during the War of 1812 .
Photo: Contributed Photo
A walking tour of local points of interest in the War of 1812 is planned Saturday.
The 2 p.m. tour will include places and facts important to the defense of Fairfield during the war.
There are more than 100 local veterans of the 1812 conflict buried in Fairfield cemeteries and several notable military leaders were associated with Fairfield during that war.
The free tour will meet at the Powder House behind Tomlinson Middle School on Unquowa Road, and end at the Old Academy on Town Hall Green where lemonade and cookies will be served.
Call 203-362-5274 for more information.