A Garden Court house was evacuated when gas began leaking from a broken line at the two-unit dwelling about midday Monday.
Firefighters called to the scene about 12:50 Monday discovered that gas was leaking from a break in the line on the street side of the meter. The lines leading into the house showed signs of rust, indicating they may have become compromised, according to the initial assessment of the incident.
After firefighters from Companies 2, 3 and 5 were dispatched to the scene, a repair crew from Southern Connecticut Gas was called to site to assist in shutting off the gas feed to the house from the street.
No injuries were reported and the scene was cleared by fire units about 2:20 p.m.