STAMFORD — A faulty ceiling fan sparked a fire at a South End home this week.
Acting Fire Marshall Robert Sollitto said the attic blaze on Washington Boulevard Tuesday night was caused by the combination a fan and light on the ceiling of a third-floor room.
“The fire got into the attic, but firefighters got to the scene quickly and made a good stop,” Sollitto said.
Although firefighters had to break into the third-floor ceiling to extinguish the blaze, only some ceiling joists and rafters were burned by the fire and there was minor water damage to the floors below.
The fire was in a house just north of Atlantic Street and it took firefighters four minutes to get there. Five engines, a rescue vehicle and a ladder truck responded with 35 firefighters.
Sollitto said residents on the first and second floors of the home were allowed to stay.