High: °
Low: °
Chance of precipitation:


Monday, February 19 News

Fire ignited by candle in Cider Mill home quickly doused

A fire that erupted in a Cider Mill Lane house Tuesday night, apparently ignited by a candle, was extinguished by firefighters before causing extensive damage.

Firefighters dispatched to the incident, reported about 6:10 p.m. Tuesday, said that smoke was coming from the home's second floor when the first unit, Engine 4, arrived on the scene.

They confirmed that all of the occupants and their pets had safely left the building, and then attacked the blaze, which was largely confined a second-floor bathroom, according to the fire report. Some flames, however, had begun to spread upward to the attic via the bathroom's exhaust fan.

The fire was brought under control and doused before inflicting serious damage to the roof or the home's structural support, the report states.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, but preliminary indications are that it was ignited by a candle that was left burning in the second-flood bathroom, according to Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson,

The home's residents became aware of the fire when a smoke detector was triggered, but were unable to control the flames with a fire extinguisher.

Despite remaining in the smoke-filled house for a brief time to rescue their dog, none of the residents reported any ill effects and they declined medical care on scene.

In a statement issued after the fire, Bisson said, "According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are over 15,000 fires caused by candles in homes each year and 55 percent of them are caused by candles being too close to other combustible materials."

Tragedy, he noted, was avoided because "the smoke detector located outside of the bathroom operated properly just as the occupant noticed the fire and assisted in alerting others in the house of the fire giving them time to safely escape."

Firefighters cleared the scene about 7:45 p.m.