High: °
Low: °
Chance of precipitation:


Tuesday, March 20 News

Pets rescued from smoky Knapps Highway basement fire

Cats and rabbits were rescued from a smoky fire in the basement of a Knapps Highway home Wednesday morning.

The blaze was reported shortly before 11 a.m., and when firefighters arrived at 464-466 Knapps Highway, heavy smoke was billowing from the dwelling's basement.

All on-duty fire units were dispatched to the scene as a precaution, and Assistant Fire Chief Schuyler Sherwood took command of the operations.

Although all of the residents were out of the home, they told firefighters that several pets were still in cages in the basement.

The animals -- cats and rabbits -- were safely removed from the basement by firefighters, and the fire was doused within about 20 minutes. Firefighters also ventilated the heavy smoke that built up in the structure.

No injuries were reported.

The fire remains under investigation, but it apparently ignited near the dryer in the basement. Fire officials indicated there were no smoke detectors in the area of the basement where the blaze originated.